Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Cabinet Member (Children and Families) submitted a report presenting the findings of an Ofsted inspection of Bury Council Children’s Services for children in need of help and protection, looked after children and care leavers.
The inspection took place over a four week period during February and March 2016 and involved twelve inspectors focussing on:
· Frontline case practice
· Children and Young People’s own experiences
· A greater emphasis on the outcomes and needs of the child
· Early identification and help for children, young people and their families;
· A greater emphasis than in previous inspections about how effectively partner agencies work together to protect children and young people;
· Services for LAC (Looked After Children) (including Fostering, Adoption and Care Leavers)
· A review of the LSCB (Local Safeguarding and Children Board)
The inspection found that there were no widespread or serious failings that may result in or leave children being harmed or at risk of harm. Also, the welfare of looked after children and their safeguarding is promoted.
The services to children and young people were recognised as being predominantly good and the report included eleven recommendations to assist the Council in preparing an action plan to ensure all services to children and young people are rated ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’. The Local Safeguarding Children Board received 5 recommendations which will be used to form part of a Safeguarding Board action plan.
In welcoming the report Councillor Gartside requested that consideration be given to the creation of a Safeguarding Committee with the purpose of monitoring and addressing safeguarding issues.
1. That the report be noted.
2. That the Executive Director of Children, Young People & Culture be instructed to submit an action plan in response to the outcome of the inspection for submission to Cabinet on 20 July 2016.
Reason for the decision:
The report demonstrates that the services to vulnerable children and young people in Bury have measurably improved over the last two years and must continue to improve.
Other option considered and rejected:
To reject the recommendation.
Publication date: 16/06/2016
Date of decision: 08/06/2016
Decided at meeting: 08/06/2016 - Cabinet
Effective from: 21/06/2016