Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor Eamonn O’Brien, the Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Finance and Growth, presented the report which outlined the forecast financial position of the Council at the end of 2021/22 based on the information known at the end of the first quarter, 30 June 2021. The report set out the position for both revenue and capital and provided an analysis of the variances, both under and overspending. In response to Members’ questions, it was noted that the issues with waste collections, including the redesign, staff absences, and HGV driver shortages, were not accounted for in this period. Spend would be affected but savings would still be achieved in the long-term. In terms of the transformation plan, the realisation of those savings was delayed as changes couldn’t be made as quickly as expected, but progress was being made with a report later in the agenda.
1. Noted the forecast overspend of £3.053m within the revenue budgets at quarter 1 and the need for Directorates to work with their finance business partners to identify mitigating actions to bring budgets back into line;
2. Noted the use of the Covid Outbreak Management Fund and Departmental Reserves in line with the criteria and one off departmental priorities;
3. Approved the use of the Corporately held waste levy reserve for the items specified against this funding in Appendix 2;
4. Noted the position on the Dedicated Schools Grant, Collection Fund and the Housing Revenue Account;
5. Noted forecast position on the capital programme.
Reasons for the decision:
To ensure the Council’s budgetary targets are achieved.
Other options considered and rejected:
Publication date: 02/09/2021
Date of decision: 01/09/2021
Decided at meeting: 01/09/2021 - Cabinet