Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor Tamoor Tariq, Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, presented the report which sought approval to commission care and support services for a new mental health supported housing scheme. Members supported the proposal, which made use of old buildings and created decent supported accommodation for those with a mental health diagnosis.
1. Approved the procurement through a competitive process of a care provider for the provision of mental health support at Topping Mill, Topping Street, Bury BL9 6DR;
2. Approved the award of a 3-year contract to the successful bidder with the right to extend it for a further period of up to two years at the discretion of the Council, subject to monitoring of performance and satisfactory delivery of the desired outcomes; and
3. Noted that this will be funded using Bury’s Adult Social Care Community Care budget.
Reasons for the decision:
The recommendations align to the Council’s Housing for Adults with Additional Needs Strategy 2021-2025 and the vision for mental health supported accommodation to:
· Improve outcomes for people with mental health needs.
· Enable people to live independently.
· Reduce the need for out of area residential placements.
· Enable tenancy sustainment.
· Support management of long-term health conditions.
· Create employment for local people.
· Create value for individuals, communities, and statutory services.
· Reduce hospital admissions and / or reducing delayed transfers of care (DTOC) where people are fit for discharge but accommodation with appropriate support is the barrier.
Other options considered and rejected:
Publication date: 09/11/2023
Date of decision: 07/11/2023
Decided at meeting: 07/11/2023 - Cabinet