Venue: Microsoft Teams
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were submitted by Councillor M Hayes and Councillor J Harris.
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Members of the Standards Committee are asked to consider whether they have an interest in any of the matters on the agenda, and if so, to formally declare that interest.
There were no declarations of interest made.
A report of the Acting Council Solicitor and Monitoring Officer was submitted setting out the proposals for consultation on a new model Code of Conduct for Elected Members seeking comments and approval to respond.
The Committee was asked to note the contents of the Report and attached draft Model Code of Conduct and provide comments for incorporation into a council response to the consultation by the deadline of 17 August.
1. That the Committee agrees that a response to the Consultation is drafted based on the Committee’s comments welcoming the consultation and the approach outlined in the draft Code.
2. That the draft response be circulated to group Leader s for agreement and submission to the LGA within the consultation period.
3. That authority be delegated to the Monitoring Officer to finalise the response
Constitutional review PDF 107 KB
A Report of the Deputy Chief Executive was submitted informing the Committee of the pending review of the Council’s Constitution to ensure that it is up to date and fit for purpose. The Report outlined the proposed terms of reference for the Review, its scope and time scale.
It was agreed:
1. That the proposed terms of reference, scope and time scale for the Constitution Review
2. set out in the Report be accepted with a progress Report tot eh enxt meeting fo the Committee on the 12 October 2020.
3. The Terms of Reference for the Review would be:
a. develop a shortened, streamlined and improved Constitution for Bury Council
b. review the decision making process to be explained and set out in the new Constitution
c. review the Overview and Scrutiny arrangements across the Council
d. provide political and social policy direction.
e. carry out a survey of all members and stakeholders on how the Constitution can be improved
f. approve the text of amendments to the Constitution to give effect to Council policy.
g. Ensure that the partnership arrangements with the CCG are reflected in the new Constitution
h. steer the Constitution Review to completion.
i. Recommend to full council a revised version of the Constitution by December 2020(25 November Council)
j. agree a programme of training and development for members and officers on the new Constitution during 2020/21.
The Deputy Chief Executive submitted oral details of the revised approach to Member Development which was being developed with a view to presenting a updated Strategy to the Member Working group in September. The Committee would be kept up to date especially with proposals relating to standards and ethic training.
Any other business which by reason of special circumstances the Chair considers may be dealt with as a matter of urgency.
No urgent business was report.
(Note: The meeting started at 6.00 pm and ended at 6.40 pm)