Venue: Bury Town Hall
Contact: Chris Shillitto Democratic Services
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Members of the Council are requested to declare any interests which they have in any items or issues before the Council for determination.
1. Councillor Connolly declared an interest in any item which related to staffing as his partner is an employee of Bury Council; and any item relating to trade unions as he is a member of Unite the Union.
2. Councillor Jones declared an interest in any item which related to staffing as his wife is an employee of Bury Council.
3. Councillor Bevan declared a personal interest in any item which related to staffing in schools as his wife is employed by a school in the Borough.
4. Councillor Mallon declared a personal interest in any item relating to staffing as his partner is an employee within a Bury High school; and any item relating to trade unions as he is a member of Unite the Union.
5. Councillor Quinn declared a personal interest in any item relating to trade unions as he is a member of Unite the Union.
6. Councillor Rothwell declared a personal interest tin any items relating to voluntary sector funding and education/school funding.
7. Councillors Fitzwalter, Gunter and Stella Smith declared personal interests in any issues relating to housing as members of the Six Town Housing Board.
To receive and approve as a correct record the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 28 January 2015 (Copy attached)
That the Minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 28 January 2015 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Mayor.
MAYORAL AND LEADER COMMUNICATIONS
To receive communications from the Mayor and any announcements by the Leader of the Council or the Chief Executive on matters of interest to the Council.
1. The Mayor paid tribute to former Councillor Stuart Glover who passed away on 8 February 2015, and Members observed a brief silence as a mark of respect.
2. The Mayor paid tribute to the Chief Executive, Mike Kelly, who is retiring on 31 March 2015. Mike was also thanked by Councillors Connolly and Gartside for his hard work and commitment to Bury Council.
3. The Leader welcomed Councillor Rothwell to the meeting following his recent illness.
PUBLIC QUESTION TIME
To answer questions from members of the public, notice of which has been given, on any matter relevant to the Council or its services to the community. Up to 30 minutes will be set aside for this purpose. If time permits, further questions will be invited from members of the public present.
The Mayor reported the receipt of two written questions a set out below:-
On inviting questions from members of the public present, the following issues were raised:-
To receive and consider the recommendations to the Council contained in the following minutes of the Cabinet:-
(a) Housing Revenue Account 2015/2016
At the invitation of the Mayor, Councillor Shori, Cabinet Member Health and Wellbeing, made a statement on the Housing Revenue Account 2015/2016.
It was moved by Councillor Shori and seconded by Councillor Connolly that the recommendations contained in Minute CA.743 of the Cabinet meeting held on 25 February 2015 be approved subject to the following amendments:
That the report be noted and the Council be requested to consider all matters relating to the Housing Revenue Account 2015/16, the increase in council house and garage rents and changes to other charges at its meeting on 25 February 2015.
1. The Housing Revenue Account estimates set out in Appendix 1 of the report be approved, subject to later amendment to reflect the agreed Management Fee payable to Six Town Housing and subject to changes in income levels and reserve contributions resulting from the rent increases and capital spending set out below;
2. The average housing rent be frozen at current levels from the first rent week in April;
3. Garage rents be frozen at current levels with effect from the first rent week in April;
4. Sheltered management charges be increased in line with the proposals set out in section 3.2.4 and the scheme of protection outlined in section 3.2.6 be implemented;
5. Sheltered amenity charges be increased by 1.2% from the first rent week in April;
6. Sheltered support and furnished tenancy charges remain unchanged from the first rent week in April and the scheme of protection for Sheltered Support Charges be continued;
7. Sheltered heating charges be reduced by 5% from the first rent week in April;
8. Tenancy charges at the Fernhill Caravan Site be frozen at current levels from the first rent week in April;
9. The draft Capital Programme be amended to add in works to the value of £250,000 in respect of play areas, street lighting and other environmental improvements to be funded initially from the Headroom Reserve.
(B) An amendment was moved by Councillor Gartside and seconded by Councillor Daly:
That the recommendations contained in the minutes of the Cabinet meeting held on 25 February 2015 be approved subject to the following amendments:
That the report is noted and the Council be requested to consider and determine all matters relating to the Housing Revenue Account 2015/16, the increase in Council house and garage rents and charges at its meeting on 19 February 2015.
1. The average housing rent increase, garage rents, sheltered amenity charges and all other charges are noted and retained in the report to Cabinet.
2. A contribution of £2,000,000 be made from available reserves in 2015/16 to sheltered housing services and support for extra care housing.
3. The draft Capital Programme to be amended to reflect the contribution from HRA reserves.”
The amendment was put to the vote which was a follows:-
For the Amendment:
Councillors I Bevan, R Caserta, J Daly, I Gartside, D Gunther, R Hodkinson, K Hussain ... view the full minutes text for item C. 752
There were no questions asked on the delegated decisions of the Cabinet, the Overview and Scrutiny Committee, Joint Consultative Committee (Corporate) and Joint Consultative Committee (Teachers).