Venue: Council Chamber - Town Hall. View directions
Contact: Leigh Webb Democratic Services
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Members of the Council are requested to declare any interests which they have in any items or issues before the Council for determination.
1. Councillor Shori declared an interest in any item which related to staffing as his partner is employed by the Council.
2. Councillor Bevan declared a personal interest in any item which related to staffing in schools as his wife is employed by a school in the Borough.
3. Councillor Mallon declared a personal interest in any item relating to staffing as his partner is an employee within a Bury High school.
4. Councillor S Wright declared a personal interest in any item relating to staffing as his partner is an employee within a Bury school.
5. Councillor Jones declared a personal interest in any item relating to staffing as his partner is an employee within a Bury school.
6. Councillor Walmsley declared a personal interest in Minute C.551 Housing Revenue Account 2017/18 as a relative of tenants living in Council properties managed by Six Town Housing.
7. Councillors P Adams, N Bayley, J Black, S Briggs, R Cathcart, M Connolly, J Grimshaw, S Haroon, T Holt, M A James, D Jones, S Kerrison, A McKay, J Mallon, E O’Brien, N Parnell, C Preston, A Quinn, R Shori, R Skillen, Sarah Southworth, Susan Southworth, T Tariq, J Walker, S Walmsley and M Whitby declared personal interests in respect of the amendment set out in (B) of Minute C.550 (iv) Budget 2017/18 to 2019/20, as Trade Union Members.
Minutes of the last meeting of Council, held on 1 February 2017, are attached.
That the Minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 1 February 2017 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Mayor.
MAYORAL COMMUNICATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
To receive communications from the Mayor and any announcements by the Leader of the Council or the Chief Executive on matters of interest to the Council.
There were no Mayoral Communications.
PUBLIC QUESTION TIME
To answer questions from members of the public, notice of which has been given, on any matter relevant to the Council or its services to the community. Up to 30 minutes will be set aside for this purpose. If time permits, further questions will be invited from members of the public present.
There were no questions from members of the public present.
Report from the Leader of the Council is attached.
It was moved by Councillor Shori and seconded by Councillor Holt and it was:-
That the Chief Executive, Mike Owen, be appointed as the Returning Officer for Bury Council at the Combined Authority Mayoral Elections.
To receive and consider the recommendations to Council contained in the following Committee Minutes:
To receive and consider the recommendations to the Council contained in the following minutes of the Cabinet:-
(i) Meeting of the Human Resources and Appeals Panel held on 13 January 2017 – Pay Policy Statement.
It was moved by Councillor Holt and seconded by Councillor Mallon and it was:-
That the Pay Policy Statement for 2017/2018 be approved.
(ii) Meeting of the Audit Committee held on 25 January 2017 – Appointment of External Auditor from 2018/19
It was moved by Councillor Mallon and seconded by Councillor Holt and it was:-
That Council accepts the invitation from PSAA to opt-in to the national scheme for the appointment of External Audit for the five years commencing 1 April 2018.
(iii) Housing Revenue Account 2017/2018
At the invitation of the Mayor, Councillor Walmsley, Cabinet Member for Strategic Housing and Support Services, made a statement on the Housing Revenue Account 2017/2018.
It was moved by Councillor Walmsley and seconded by Councillor Shori and it was:-
That the recommendations contained in Minute CA.550 of the Cabinet meeting held on 22 February 2017 be approved.
(iv) Budget 2017/2018 to 2019/20
At the invitation of the Mayor, Councillor Shori, Leader of the Council, made a statement on the Budget for 2017/2018 to 2019/20.
(A) It was moved by Councillor Shori and seconded by Councillor Holt that the recommendations contained in Minute CA.550 of the Cabinet meeting held on 22 February 2017 be approved subject to the following amendments:
That the report is noted and the Council be requested to consider and determine all matters relating to the Budget, the Capital Programme and the level of Council Tax for 2017/18 at its meeting on 22nd February 2017.
Section A – Capital Programme
1. Approve the Capital Programme for 2017/18 and future years, as shown in Appendix 1; as amended by table below.
2. Approve the proposed financing of the Capital Programme;
Section B – Revenue Budget
3. Note the details of the Draft Settlement Funding Allocation (SFA) for 2017/18 to 2019/20. In the event that the final Settlement is not confirmed by the Government in time for the Council meeting, then amendments to the budget, and calculations made in line with the Local Government Finance Act 1992, to reflect any changes to the Settlement figures will be delegated to the Chief Executive and Interim Director of Resources & Regulation in consultation with the Leader of the Council, Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Finance & Human Resources and opposition Party Leaders. Any amendments will be reported to Council on 19 April 2017.
4. Note the repayment of principal on General Fund debt at the minimum of 2% in line with the current Minimum Revenue Provision policy;
5. Note that under delegated powers the Interim Executive Director of Resources & Regulation calculated the amount of 52,350 as the Council Tax base for the year 2017/18 in accordance with the Local Government Act 2003 and with regulations made under section 33(5) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and the Local Authority (Calculation of Council Tax Base) (England) Regulations 2012;
6. Note the forecast ... view the full minutes text for item C. 557
DELEGATED DECISIONS OF THE COUNCIL COMMITTEES
Questions on the delegated decisions on the Budget 2017/2018 to 2019/20 made at the following meetings:-
There were no questions asked on the delegated decisions of the Cabinet, the Overview and Scrutiny Committee, Joint Consultative Committee (Corporate) and Joint Consultative Committee (Teachers).
THE WORSHIPFUL THE MAYOR
(NOTE:The meeting started at 7.00 pm and ended at 9.25 pm)