Agenda and minutes

Trade Liaison Meeting - Thursday, 30th November, 2023 5.00 pm

Please let us know if you are planning to attend and have any access requirements or other needs which we need to take account of.
No. Item


Agenda items for the 30th November 2023 pdf icon PDF 371 KB




Ben Thomson (BT) – Head of Public Protection – Chair

Michael Bridge (MB) – License Unit Manager

Nazmul Islam (NI) – Business Engagement Officer

David Lawrie (DL) – Director of the National Private Hire Taxi Association

Muhammad Warriach (MW) – Private Hire Drivers Association Bury

PC Peter Eccleston (PE) – GMP Bury District Licensing Officer

Sham Raja (SR) – National Private Hire & Taxi Association

Khalid Hussain (KH) – Bury Hackney Association

Cllr. Gavin McGill (GM) – Chair of Licensing and Safety Committee

Habib Ur Rehman (HUR) – GMB Union

Luke Solczak (LS) – Licensing Enforcement Officer

Kirsty Wild (KW) – Magnum Whiteline

Shahbaz & Shahzad (S&S) – Elton Bullitt


Minutes:Maureen Foden (MF)



Welcome & Apologies


Laura Swann, Charlotte Morris, Laura Jones


Minutes & Actions of previous meeting 30.08.23 & Matters Arising


The minutes from the previous meeting were agreed as a true record.


The correct mechanism for reporting illegal ranking on taxis ranks should be reported through the following email address 



GMP Update


There has been a real reduction in reported cases concerning taxi drivers with only seven cases reported, and none were major incidents.


Updates for actions:


·         Regarding investigating the operation being undertaken in Preston it was decided to look closer to home in Bolton regarding the Get Home Safe campaign. The team will be looking at introducing something similar to this in Bury once the Christmas and New Year periods are over.

·         Cannot find any information regarding the police chase on Manchester Road.

·         Regarding the crime number that is still be looking into.

·         To look at other areas regarding crime that has been reported, all forces should be recording. If a crime has been reported this needs to be notified to the relevant licensing authority and it is up to them to take any action.

It was reported that a driver had their window smashed and spent two hours with the police however they were not given a crime reference number. PE to follow this up and report on it outside of this meeting.


DL has had meetings with Lanpak who are involved in safeguarding matters for hotels and pubs, they are looking at involving taxis in this to create a more combined approach.


Also, with the introduction of the NR3 database information should be uploaded for all Local Authorities to have access to.


On any new applications or renewal applications Bury Licensing do check the NR3 database if anything is highlighted the authority concerned will be contacted.


A concern that was raised regarding the safety of the bike riders for Uber deliveries as many of them do not have lights therefore they are riding dangerously and illegally, there is also an issue with scooters. Unfortunately, the Police are not allowed to pursue people using either of these forms of transport.


ACTION:       PE to contact Uber Eats regarding the safety issues concerning                       their delivery staff not using lights on their bikes.



Bury Driver Safety Campaign – Progress Update



A consultation was undertaken over a year ago which was  ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.