Agenda and draft minutes

Youth Cabinet
Tuesday, 18th June, 2019 5.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber - Town Hall. View directions

Contact: Andrea Tomlinson  Democratic Services

Items
No. Item

YC.1

WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

Minutes:

All those present introduced themselves and an ice breaker was held where all those present took part in a connections exercise.

YC.2

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Councillor Members are asked to consider whether they have an interest in any item on the agenda and, if so, to formally declare that interest.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made at the meeting.

YC.3

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING pdf icon PDF 38 KB

The Minutes of the last meeting held on 16 April 2019 are attached.

Minutes:

It was agreed:

 

That the Minutes of the last meeting held on 16 April 2019 be approved as a correct record.

YC.4

CIRCLES OF INFLUENCE - UPDATE

Adele and Heather will report at the meeting

Minutes:

Adele reported that there had been a number of Circles of Influence planning meetings held since the last meeting of Youth Cabinet.

 

The Circles of Influence event was due

 

Adele presented the draft schedule for the day and asked that those present have a look at the running order.

 

Ailiyah and Harriet would be on the reception in the morning and Dziugas and Caitlin in the afternoon. Rhiannon will present the welcome statement and Emma and Rhiannon the closing statement.

 

Those present were given the opportunity to discuss the event and the following points were raised:

 

·         Councillor Jones referred to the agree and disagree exercise and explained how much of an impact this can have on the officers and other professionals attending the event. He asked whether it would be better to hold this in the afternoon session when the professionals were in attendance.

 

·         Councillor Cathcart asked whether representatives from the travelling community or the PRU had been invited.

 

It was agreed:

 

That the update be noted

YC.5

VEGAN MARKET

Councillor Cropper will report at the meeting

Minutes:

Councillor Cropper explained that he had been carrying out research amongst Councillors and Officers of the Council to see if there was any support for a vegan market/festival somewhere in the borough.

 

Councillor Cropper explained that the idea would be to promote not just a vegan lifestyle but climate change issues and environmental issues.

 

Councillor Cropper asked if a group of young people would be able to meet to discuss how this could be moved forward with a view to rolling out an event in each town.

 

Harriet explained that the POSH ambassadors had targets to meet in relation to promoting environmental issues so this could be something that could feed into that.

 

Councillor Cropper stated that he would provide some more information.

 

 

YC.6

YOUTH CABINET PLEDGE

Heather and Adele will report at the meeting

Minutes:

Adele explained that it had been a number of years since the Youth Cabinet Constitution/pledge had been updated and it was suggested that the Youth Cabinet draw up a new one.

 

Adele and Heather would draw up a set of principles and if any Member of the Youth Cabinet wanted to add any they could do this by contacting Adele or Heather.

YC.7

YOUTHFORIA - UPDATE

An update will be given at the meeting

Minutes:

It was explained that the Youthforia residential had taken place at Brathay Hall in Ambleside at the end of April.

 

A number of Youth Cabinet Members had attended the weekend and they had taken part in workshops and activities including canoeing and orienteering and a big debate. There had also been the launch of the POSH representatives and discussions around the role and responsibilities of the members. Harriet reported that she had been elected as the representative on the North West Steering Group.

YC.8

THE BIG DEBATE

Artificial Intelligence good or bad – should AI continue to be developed?

Minutes:

The Youth Cabinet split into teams to debate the following issue:

 

Should the country invest more money into developing artificial intelligence?

 

The debate was held and a vote taken and,

 

It was agreed:

 

That the country should continue to invest in artificial intelligence.