Agenda and minutes

Trade Liaison Meeting - Thursday, 11th May, 2023 5.00 pm

Please let us know if you are planning to attend and have any access requirements or other needs which we need to take account of.
No. Item


Agenda items for 11th May 2023 pdf icon PDF 415 KB






Ben Thomson – Head of Public Protection – Chair

Michael Bridge – License Unit Manager

Laura Swann – Assistant Director Operations Strategy

Nazmul Islam – Business Engagement Officer

Charles Oakes – The Hackney Driver Assoc. Ltd

David Lawrie – National Private Hire Taxi Association

Muhammad Warriach – Private Hire Drivers Association Bury

PC Peter Eccleston – GMP Bury District Licensing Officer

Kirsty Wild – Magnum Whiteline Taxis

Ean Franks – Magnum Whiteline Taxis

Sham Raja – National Private Hire & Taxi Association

K. Hussain – Bury Hackney Association


Minutes:  Maureen Foden




Welcome & Apologies



Cllr. Morris, Habib Ur-Rehman, Sgt Andy Vernon Cllr. Walmersley, Matthew Freckleton




Minutes of previous meeting 12.01.23 & Matters Arising



The minutes from the previous meeting were agreed as a true record.





A petition has been received regarding rear loading vehicles and disabled access, 21 letters were sent out and 3 responses have been received. Will investigate and evaluate the issues further, the Licensing Service will prepare a report for the Licensing & Safety Committee in due course. DL would like to be involved in submitting something to support this issue.





GMP Update



There was an aggravated assault on 8th May involving a taxi driver. The perpetrator was locked up but has since been released under investigation pending further enquiries.


There was also an incident last week, where a taxi driver was arrested for drink driving.


Below is a list of events coming up which will have a huge impact on the taxi trade:


·         Lee Rigby Memorial Football Game

·         Parklife

·         FA Cup Final

With the threat of potential strikes from the train and the Metrolink services it is envisaged that this could cause havoc for the public and the trade.


GMP have disbanded the What’s App group, this is due to data protection and the unacceptable comments being made. It is felt it is too difficult to regulate. As an alternative for enquiries, it was suggested that drivers use the Bury Neighbourhood Prevention email address . For any incidents out of hours the advice is to call 999 or 111 and also leave a message with the given incident number so it can be followed up.


DL suggested contacting Bristol police, they have a broadcast message system where they send out generic messages to all members in their group, people cannot see who else is in the group and you can only respond to the sender. There is also the telegraph messenger app that could be used.


GMP are updating its computer systems however it this has to go through a consultation first therefore it could take up to two years before anything is in place.


It was asked if GMP are involved in operation Make Safe which is about building a better partnership and relationships between the trade and Police regarding safeguarding. There is something in the planning in Bury and this will be discussed at the Night-time Economy Meeting.


ACTION 1:     PE to investigate what is happening in Preston regarding                                 operation Make Safe  ...  view the full minutes text for item 1.