Councillor Eamonn O’Brien, Leader and Cabinet Member for Strategic Growth and Skills, presented the report which set out proposals for consultation regarding a review of the wider Chief Officer structure, particularly in relation to the Corporate Core Services. This also delivered on the outstanding balance of the £200k savings from Chief Officer costs within the 22/23 budget and confirmed leadership arrangements for the Corporate Core Department from within existing capacity.
Members discussed the report, noting that the Employment Panel would be involved with the appointment of the Executive Director (Strategy & Transformation), and that there would be a separate set of proposals to achieve the outstanding savings target.
Agreed to the commencement of consultation with
affected staff on the proposed structural changes set out within
the body of this report. Specifically that:
a) The posts of Deputy Chief Executive (Chief Officer DCEX Band) and Joint Chief Information Officer (Chief Officer Band F) are deleted;
b) A new post of Executive Director (Strategy & Transformation) is established at Chief Officer Band H to lead the Corporate Core Department;
c) The post of Head of Strategic Performance & Intelligence (SM2) is deleted and a new role of Head of Performance & Delivery established (Chief Officer Band A) to replace the previous Head of Delivery post (Chief Officer Band A) and ensure focus on delivery of the Corporate Plan and its associated priorities;
d) A new Policy Officer role is established (Grade 12) reporting to the Head of Performance & Delivery;
e) The portfolio of the Assistant Director (Digital, Data and Technology) is expanded to take on joint leadership of the ICT and Digital portfolio across the Council and NHS Greater Manchester in Bury. Leadership responsibility for the Contact Centre will also transfers to this post from the Head of Communication, Marketing & Engagement;
f) Leadership responsibility for the Communications function transfers from the Deputy Chief Executive to the Executive Director (Strategy & Transformation);
g) The Assistant Director (Economy & Business) and their current portfolio transfer to the leadership of the Executive Director (Strategy & Transformation) and that this role takes on responsibility for the Bury Adult Education Service and is redesignated Assistant Director (Business & Skills);
h) The Director of Housing becomes a direct report of the Executive Director (Place) with the Housing portfolio aligned as part of the Business Growth Infrastructure (BGI) Department;
i) To take account of the proposed changes, that the role of Executive Director (Place) is regraded from Chief Officer Band G to Chief Officer Band H;
j) To take account of the proposed changes, that the role of Director of Law & Governance is regraded from Chief Officer Band E to Chief Officer Band F;
k) Leadership responsibility for the Bury Art Museum transfer to the Executive Director Operations;
l) The One Commissioning Organisation is re-named as the Health and Adult Care Department; and
m) The Executive Director (Strategic Commissioning) is redesignated Executive Director (Health and Adult Care). The Executive Director (Health and Adult Care) will assume responsibility for leading and implementing the Public Service Reform Strategy, including the neighbourhood model.
2) Delegated authority to the Chief Executive and Leader of the Council, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for HR & Corporate Affairs, Director of People and Inclusion, Monitoring Officer and S151 Officer to consider responses received from the consultation and agree a final proposed report. (Where the changes from the proposals set out below are not substantive, the Cabinet Member for HR & Corporate Affairs will agree implementation, where changes are substantive revised proposals will return to Cabinet for consideration and approval).
3) Subject to consultation, commended the following proposals to Council where the required changes are decisions which directly rest with Council:
a) That the role of Executive Director (Place) is regraded from Chief Officer Band G to Chief Officer Band H;
b) That a new post of Executive Director (Strategy & Transformation) is established at Chief Officer Band H;
c) That the role of Director of Law & Governance is regraded from Chief Officer Band E to Chief Officer Band F; and
d) That a Market Supplement payment of £14k is applied to the Director of Adult Social Services role.
Reasons for the decision:
The appointment of Lynne Ridsdale as Chief Executive provides the opportunity to undertake a review of the wider Chief Officer structure, particularly in relation to the Corporate Core Services, in order to:
· Address the requirements of the role of Deputy Chief Executive and the responsibilities currently attached to that post.
· Ensure the Council’s structure and Chief Officer capacity is effectively aligned to the priorities of the Corporate Plan and LET’S Do It!
· Ensure clarity of accountability and expectations across the Council’s Executive Team and Strategic Leadership Group.
· Identify opportunities for savings and efficiencies in support of a total current savings target of £300k from the Council’s Chief Officer structure to be delivered in its entirety by April 2024.
Other options considered and rejected:
Subject to approval by Cabinet the proposals set out in this report will be presented to Trade Union Colleagues at the next Local Government Services Consultation Meeting and agreement sought to start a period of 30 days consultation with affected staff. Following this, final proposals reflective of feedback from the consultation process, will be shared with the Cabinet Member for HR & Corporate Affairs for approval. In accordance with the Council’s Pay Policy Statement, changes to salary packages above £100k require approval by Council and these recommendations, following consultation, will be commended to Council for their agreement.