Venue: Meeting Room B - Town Hall. View directions
Contact: Andrea Tomlinson Democratic Services
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Members of Human Resources Committee are asked to consider whether they have an interest in any of the matters on the Agenda, and, if so, to formally declare that interest.
There were no declarations of interest made at the meeting.
A report from the Chief Executive is attached.
Caroline Schofield, Strategic Lead, HR presented a report setting out the proposal to engage a contractor on a six month fixed term contract to carry out work on specific urgent deliverables.
It was reported that the current post holder of Director of Housing, Growth and Development had recently resigned after being recruited at the end of November 2018, and would be leaving the Council at the end of the calendar year. The vacancy provides a helpful opportunity to reconsider leadership requirements in the context of evolving strategy. Specifically determination of arrangements around the Council’s strategic delivery vehicle may have a fundamental impact on the nature of the post required.
It was explained that at the time that the appointment was originally made the HRA Members’ Panel that interviewed had considered three applicants to be appointable.
It was reported that the Chief Executive and the Deputy Chief Executive had held interviews with the two individuals and of these two, one has particular experience required for the specialist piece of work which was explained as:
· A refresh of the Housing Needs Assessment and Bury Housing Strategy, in the context of Bury 2030
· an appraisal and make recommendations of commercial options for delivery, specifically resolution of whether the Council should establish a Development Company
· a refresh of the relationship with Six Town Housing and implementation of the Housing Review completed in 2018/19
1. That HR and Appeals Panel agree to appoint this contractor on a fixed term contract for 6 months to carry out this specialist piece of work with specific deliverables as outlined above. They will work 4 days a week with some flexibility around the 5th day if required.
2. That the contractor is appointed without further competition on the basis of the specialist skills required, that this person has already been assessed by Members and the significant cost saving.
3. That payment is on the basis of the same rate as the Director post (Band F) once the contract commences on a full time basis from February 2020 (pro rata), with 6 one-off days before then which will be charged at £500 per day plus VAT.